An Electrical Check Sir??

The dangers of house electric fires as a result of electrical issues

Having electrical issues in a home poses a great danger to the occupants. In the UK for example electricity has been identified as a major cause of accidental home fires. Statistic released by the government goes to show that in UK, every year fire causes more than 20,000 fires a year. This statistic goes to show that the issue should be a major concern for all UK residents. How safe is your home? Is the question that everyone should be asking themselves if they wish to avoid falling victim to this.

The fact that modern living demands the use of more electrical appliances in our homes means that the risk factors are enhanced. It is no longer a matter of if but when.

This goes to show you the importance of conducting periodic electric inspection.

You can have professional helping you out with this as it is much safe. These professionals should be able to identify any potential issues before hand and sort it out before the actual occurrence.

Common Causes of Electrical Fires

One thing you need to know is that it is not only electrical faults that are responsible for home related electric fire; human error is also a major contributor. Here are some of the common causes of electric fires in homes.

  • Faulty electric outlets together with old outdated appliances
  • Installing light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs with high wattage. As a precautionary measure, try as much as possible to check the maximum recommended bulb wattage before fixing.
  • Misuse of extension cords is also another cause of home electrical fires
  • Space heaters because these appliances are portable and there is a tendency of people placing them close to combustible surfaces such as curtains
  • Outdated wiring especially in the case of old houses

Examples of fires caused by electrical faults

As mentioned above, cases of house fires caused by electrical faults are very common in the UK. These fire cases have been reported to have occurred:

  • The Eagle Close Fire

Back in February, 2015 a house fire was reported in Eagle Close, Measham. The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the shower. The house suffered both fire and smoke damages. Luckily, no one was in the house at the time of the blaze hence there were no causalities apart from a dog which was led to safety safely by fire-fighters.

  • The Holborn Underground Fire

The fire that was caused by an electrical fault lasted for about 36 hours before it was put out. The underground fire that burned underneath the pavement occurred in Kingsway, Holborn caused a major fire outage in central London. It is believed that the fire was caused by an electrical fault in the Victorian tunnels. Around 5,000 people were evacuated during the blaze.

In as much as most of these fires were not deliberate, they could have been prevented if periodic inspections were done. As a home owner, always ensure that you get a professional to help you with periodic electric inspection because it can save a life. At Simon Hopkins Electricals Services we are committed to helping you take care of all your house electrical issues.

Our team of professionals have specialised in checking and replacing: wiring, circuitry and even earthing to ensure that your house is up to the required British Standards, current regulation and requirements. We are an NICEIC approved contractors means that you can rely on us to provide you with all the electrical solutions.    

Be sure, Be safe call your local experts.